Understanding and practicing an Awareness Mindset
We live in a world that is usually safe, but sometimes dangerous. An awareness mindset is the most important part of a Personal Protection Plan.
First, let’s define:
Awareness- Being aware of one’s surroundings and being able to identify potential threats and dangerous situations.
The practice of awareness is much more a mindset than a skill set. Anyone can implement an awareness mindset without formal training. What does it take?
- Know that threats exist. Ignorance or denial of threats ruins your ability to be able to recognize and avoid danger
- Understand that you are ultimately responsible for your own security. Law enforcement and security forces are REACTIONARY almost all of the time
- Trust your “gut”. Your intuition is a very powerful asset and ally. Far too often people ignore that “gut feeling” that is telling them that something is wrong
In the end, having an awareness mindset that you are willing to take responsibility is the foundation of your safety and security. It is up to you to look our for yourself, your family, friends, coworkers and neighbors. Pass on what you learn and know. Begin making a conscious habit of being aware of what your “gut” is telling you and what is happening around you.
Do this even when you are distracted.
That is what will set you apart from being a victim to being a survivor.
Practical Tactics for an Awareness Mindset
- Put down your phone. Seriously, there is plenty of time when you aren’t out and about to check Instagram updates and your friends on Snapchat.
- Get your head up and your eyes looking around.
- Think about what you are seeing. Is someone out of place or acting in a strange manner? What about that car that doesn’t look like it belongs? Is you “gut” trying to tell you something (other than about the tacos you ate a half an hour ago)?
Make the decision, and start practicing an awareness mindset today!
When Everything Goes Wrong, sponsored by Full Circle Systems
Full Circle Systems is your single best resource for personal protection and crisis preparedness information. We are proud to provide media from When Everything Goes Wrong. If we can help you develop a personal protection plan, training, policies and procedures, please do not hesitate to contact us by clicking here.
It is our honor to be the industry leader in this field. It is our duty, obligation and responsibility to ensure that you and yours go home at the end of your day.